Sunday, July 8, 2012

Six Sentence Sunday #29



Hi Ya!

Still sharing some snippets from one of my WIPs, tentatively titled A Heart Is A Home.

For those new to this particular story, it's one I started a while back, but haven't really worked on in ages. It's not even completely formulated in my head, but it is the story of Adam Taylor (Jason's friend and lawyer from Love Is The Drug), a free-spirited sort who meets and falls for a thoroughly efficient and just a bit stodgy realtor whom he's hired to sell the home he grew up in after the death of his grandfather.


I'm picking up directly after the last sentence from last week. The first three sentences of the snippet are the last sentences in the paragraph.
After turning the silver dial to “on”, he gently slid the record onto the spindle, swept the arm over and carefully settled the needle on the first cut. A few hisses and pops followed before Dean’s smooth croon came through the gold and tan, heavy-woven cloth that covered the speakers. “Ain’t That A Kick In The Head”. Seemed appropriate, so Adam took up his glass and, waving a finger in the air in time to the music, half-danced over to the frayed brown couch from the same era as the console, and sat down, immediately resting his head on the back of it.

That was where he woke up several hours later, still dressed in his funeral suit, a sharp crick in his neck and the residual audio buzz of the console speakers serving as a back-up band to the syncopated ringing of the doorbell followed by conga-beats of bare knuckles rapping on wood.

He looked at his watch as he leapt up. Nine-thirty already?


If you enjoyed this, why not stop by the Six Sentence Sunday website for the links to other authors who are participating? Have Fun and Happy Reading!

biggrinbiggrinwinkwinkwinkwinkwinkwink

18 comments:

  1. Great six K.E.! The description is so vivid I felt like I was there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your sixes these past few weeks have been so evocative! It totally takes me back to sitting in my grandmother's dining room while she played "String of Pearls." I think everyone can identify with the story you're weaving. Fantastic six!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you had the story up again. I really love it. Especially the atmosphere of past. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a well-written and organic feeling scene. You're doing great things with this story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're an amazing talent my friend! So descriptive! Hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent description in this. I could hear the static of the record as it started. wonderful six!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good one! I haven't listened to an actual record in a long time but it all came back to me through the power of your description! Really an excellent excerpt...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Masterful descriptions as always, K.E. You truly put the reader into the scene--I could hear the pops and crackle of the album. And I can't wait to see who's at the door! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. what can I say? I love your writing :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. The descriptions are fabulous!! I love Dean, thanks for adding the clip. Who is at the door?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! The long-awaited heroine is at the door. I haven't counted the sentences yet, but I think you'll meet her next week. (I'm just sharing this entire WIP, sentence by sentence, because I've only written about 1200 words anyway, LOL!)

      Delete
  11. Thanks everyone for coming back for a visit, sure do appreciate it!! I'm glad you're enjoying the story. Hugs to you all. =D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Every detail is so vividly captured! (And, as a side note, I love those naps where you wake up and can't figure out what time it is. Maybe when the kids are grown I can take one again, LOL.)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful! Vivid, with a great sense of place. You also use the song to great effect. Very deft.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can just see him waving that finger in the air and half-dancing over to the couch - perfect! Great six as always, K.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love that song - it's so vintage Vegas. I really love how you invoke a variety of senses in your writing. This MS is fantastic, glad you picked it up again.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great six, took me back to those crackly record days. Look forward to seeing who's at the door and why.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Woops! He must have been knackered! Very visual 6, well done!

    ReplyDelete

Amazon Affiliate Disclaimer

K.E. Saxon is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.