Sunday, July 1, 2012

Six Sentence Sunday #28





Good morning, afternoon, or evening! Thanks for stopping by and, as always, I appreciate your comments and feedback!

Still sharing some snippets from one of my WIPs, tentatively titled A Heart Is A Home.

For those new to this particular story, it's one I started a while back, but haven't really worked on in ages. It's not even completely formulated in my head, but it is the story of Adam Taylor (Jason's friend and lawyer from Love Is The Drug), a free-spirited sort who meets and falls for a thoroughly efficient and just a bit stodgy realtor whom he's hired to sell the home he grew up in after the death of his grandfather.


I'm picking up directly after the last sentence from last week. The first sentence of the snippet is the last sentence in the paragraph.
No, the ache of losing her, losing his last attachment to his past, his family—what there had been of it—had come as a big surprise to him.

After all, he’d been straining at the bit to leave, to spread his wings, to EXPERIENCE life, and he hadn’t looked back either. Not once. Not in all these years. Until he’d come home this last time to bury his granddad.

He set his wine glass down next to the circa 1970s stereo console—his grandpa’s pride and joy—and slipped an old Dean Martin album out of its careworn sleeve.

If you enjoyed this, why not stop by the Six Sentence Sunday website for the links to other authors who are participating? Have Fun and Happy Reading!

biggrinbiggrinwinkwinkwinkwinkwinkwink

22 comments:

  1. Great six. I love how he's revisiting the past.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some Dean Martin sounds like an excellent soundtrack for that scene!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a tear-jerker! And the stereo console. I had totally forgot about people having those.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww, you're really making me miss my grandparents with these snippets! I dreamed about my grandfather this past week, so you're kinda freaking me out! Great job evoking emotion and mood. I think we can all relate to your description. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was probably popping in to say "hi". Glad he's still looking out for you... =D

      Delete
  5. Lovely and evocative, K. And the Dean Martin/stereo console is a great detail. Excellent six!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enjoyed the description of the feelings he's contending with and the detail about the music he selected was perfect. Terrific six!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful snippet. I love stereo console. My mother-in-law has one of those. Great emotion in this, as usual. My heart aches for him.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My mom had one of those stereo consoles--this brought back a huge amount of memories. Her album of choice would have been Elvis, however. :) Wonderful, evocative six. Great character revelations.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You gotta get back working on this!!! It's so full

    ReplyDelete
  10. So much emotion in this six. Well done! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. My grandparents had one of those consoles, man that brings back some good memories.
    Loving the emotion in this 6. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The nostalgia in your snippet is lovely. I just love to relax and escape with old songs like Dean Martin. Really nice!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks so much everyone for stopping by and commenting. I'm glad the console brings back memories for you, as well. I definitely was inspired by my own father-in-law's absolute ADORATION of his console (you should hear him talk about it =D) I love Dean Martin, too, Carrie!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This has become one of my favorite stories in the SSS library. You've done such a fabulous job setting scene and creating ambiance. Nice job with the nod to Dean Martin.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love that he's surprised by his attachment to his past. Lots of longing and emotion here. I like him so much. :) Wonderful six, K.E.!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You conjure a very real image in six short lines. Well done, KE!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Poignant 6, great description of his state of mind and the nostalgia bit at the end...

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love this. The things that mean the most are often things that nobody else would expect.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I can picture both so easily, my grandparents owning both. Thank you honey for another great six sentences!
    Hugs,
    A

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love his nostalgia! Great six! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Such a heartfelt six. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Amazon Affiliate Disclaimer

K.E. Saxon is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.