Sunday, June 17, 2012

Six Sentence Sunday #26





Hello again, Sixers! I know your heart must be as broken as mine that we've only got about another 30 weeks or so before we say goodbye to the wonderful SSS blog hop.  It's been such a great experience for me and I am so grateful to Sara Brookes and all the volunteers who have made this such a fun and awesome ride for all of us!!

Anyway, meanwhile, back at the ranch...

Still sharing some snippets from one of my WIPs, tentatively titled A Heart Is A Home.


 For those new to this particular story, it's one I started a while back, but haven't really worked on in ages. It's not even completely formulated in my head, but it is the story of Adam Taylor (Jason's friend and lawyer from Love Is The Drug), a free-spirited sort who meets and falls for a thoroughly efficient and just a bit stodgy realtor whom he's hired to sell the home he grew up in after the death of his grandfather.

I'm picking up directly after the last sentence from last week, and it finishes the paragraph as well as the thought thread that the hero, Adam, is having about the last time he saw his father alive.

mrgreenmrgreenmrgreenmrgreenmrgreenmrgreenmrgreenmrgreenmrgreenmrgreenmrgreen



Two days later, the man was dead. Killed while he was on an electrical pole.

The company determined it was an accident. His father had mistakenly touched a live wire.

His grandfather told Adam that it was a quick death, there wasn’t a lot of suffering, but sometimes Adam wondered how much truth there was in that. It seemed to him that death by electrocution, no matter how short a time span, must be excruciatingly painful.


If you enjoyed this, why not stop by the Six Sentence Sunday website for the links to other authors who are participating? Have Fun and Happy Reading!

biggrinbiggrinwinkwinkwinkwinkwinkwink

23 comments:

  1. :( Fast or slow, it still hurts the ones left behind. Electrocution always makes me think of that one scene in "The Green Mile." You know the one. *shudders* Very evocative six.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yeah. That was an intense scene in the movie. :/

      Thanks so much for stopping by, Stephanie! Great to have you back among us this week!

      Delete
  2. Interesting thoughts - and he's probably right about it being painful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very vivid. I feel for him here, contemplating how painful his father's death was. :( Great six.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this character and want more --we have to talk soon --sorry about my six - it's misleading

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Sassy Sue! I loved your snippet and I think with the six sentence structure, there's always room for misinterpretation that you wouldn't get with the segment as a whole, LOL! Sorry I misinterpreted the scene =D

      I'm so happy you like Adam as much as I do. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment!!

      Delete
  5. I certainly feel a lot of sympathy for Adam, having lost his Dad in such a way and always wondering how much pain there was....quite a moving six - well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Veronica! I always appreciate your feedback.

      Delete
  6. Wow. What a tragic way to go. Poor Adam. I hate bad memories like this. Very good job.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good delivery of the background information. Tying the past to his now. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Touching and poignant. That's exactly the sort of question one asks oneself. Very good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really like this. Very good emotion and heart-wrenching.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, so heavy, yet simple. You just let the reader's find the depth of emotion here. Very nice writing, K.E.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Monica, for your generous words. This is literally the first draft of the work, straight from my head and urped out on the digital page, exactly as it came to me, so of course I already see places that need rephrasing due to non-useful repetition. So, again, I really appreciate your generosity--Everyone's really--in turning a blind eye to the roughness of this draft.

      Delete
  11. Thanks to EVERYONE who's taken the time to respond here. You guys are so wonderful and I can't say enough how much it means to me to read your feedback. Hugs to everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great snippet K.E., that can't be a fun memory for him to relive. There's also an underlying thread of menace about whether it was accidental...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very moving. I agree with Adam that electrocution must be extremely painful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That gives me a shiver up my spine! Great six honey! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I agree with Adam--quick doesn't necessarily mean painless. Poor guy, thinking about that.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such a terrible memory for him. And I'm sure he's right, it had to be painful, even if briefly for his dad. Sad for his son to have to contemplate. Wonderful writing here, K.E. So poignant.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow. This is so deeply felt. You did an amazing job here, KE.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow - another great six! That type of wondering would be haunting. Really makes him empathetic too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks so much Sarah and Lorraine! Coming from you two, that really means a lot. Truly appreciate you guys stopping by and taking the time to comment, too!

    ReplyDelete

Amazon Affiliate Disclaimer

K.E. Saxon is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.